Did You Know?
- An hour of vigorous swimming will burn up to 650 calories. It burns off more calories than walking or biking.
- Swimming is a great cardiovascular exercise because you are moving against the water’s resistance, which is over ten times that of the air.
- Over 50% of world-class swimmers suffer from shoulder pain.
- Elephants can swim up to 20 miles a day using their trunks like a snorkel… How cool is that!
- The oldest form of swimming stroke is breaststroke, we know this because ancient drawings and paintings have been found in Egypt depicting people swimming dating back to 2500 BC.
- Swim Finns were invented by Benjamin Franklin
- Swimming was introduced into the Olympics 1896 Men only until 1912 when finally women were included
How – What – Where
Q Where was the highest dive from a diving board performed?
A: Lazaro Schaller dived 58.8metres in Switzerland Maggia on the 4th August 2015
Q How did the Bikini get its name?
A: The bikini swimsuit was named after a U.S. nuclear testing site in the South Pacific called Bikini Atoll.
Q Where is the world’s Biggest Pool?
A: The world’s biggest pool is in the San Alfonso del Mar Resort in Chile. It is over 480 meters long and took almost 5 years to build.